Thursday, November 8, 2012

Spooky Flirty Halloween Wreath

I made this for a friend. It's a spooky flirty wreath with stamped laminated paper and fabric flowers. This cheerful wreath makes me so excited to celebrate Halloween.



I got the wreath form at Dollar Tree. It looks like it's made of dried grape vines. I also got the spooky gray gauzy fabric to wrap all the way around the wreath from Dollar Tree.

I had the stamp on hand, "Ghouls just want to have fun." I'm pretty sure I got it in one of those clearance bins at Michaels for $1. I stamped it with silver ink on some black card stock paper, and did a poor man's laminating job with packing tape, trying not to show any seams. I wanted to make it weather-proof. I cut the excess tape off. I hot-glued this one on, but I made another wreath by wrapping brown yarn around a Styrofoam wreath form, and I wanted to be able to take stuff off and update it for other seasons, so I used pins to anchor the stuff, and then I can take it off at a whim and put something new on. Those darn yarn wreaths take FOREVER to wrap. I'm not doing that again.

Then I made the fabric flowers using pink lace and a glue gun, and some other kinds of material too. But the pink lace fabric flower is definitely my favorite! It's made in this style and is a little bit of a craft in itself. I had to do a few things to help the rolling along. Since the lace lets the hot glue through, you might be more likely to burn yourself. I also needed an "anchor" for the lace, so I used some coordinating pink felt to go under, cut in a circle about the size of the final flower. I rolled a tight circle-bunch and then glued it to itself and then glued that onto the center of the felt circle.

The ghosty ghoulies are made of that white cheese cloth you can get cheaply at the grocery store. Maybe you still have some on-hand from Halloween. Don't throw it away! Or you could used dryer sheets. I hear those things don't biodegrate, so rather than sitting in a local landfill, they could be dancing happily on your wreath and filling the air near your front door with a pleasant smell. I bunched them with my fingers 'til I got a good ghost effect and then tied them tightly round and round with white thread until I was sure they were secured. I hot-glued them on, but you can also pin them on so that you could remove them again if you wanted to.

The orange ribbon is like a harvest autumn leaves theme and it's wired ribbon that I got from, you guessed it, Dollar Tree. I'm on a very tight budget so this craft needed to be cheap. Love the craft items that the Dollar Tree has been peddling.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment