Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Apron Evolution

Sewing is such a learning experience. I also like to come up with my own patterns so that keeps me on my toes. I love to look at something out there and try to recreate it. It isn't always a perfect process. Still, you can tell I've come along way, Baby! I keep a sewing journal to know where I've been and to know where I'm going, and also to fix mistakes and just keep all my patterns and sewing thoughts together. It's helping me to get more organized. (And when it comes to being organized, I need ALL the help I can get!)

Apron v1.0

This was a late present for my friend Jessica. It was supposed to be a cutsie/sexy apron for a wedding present. Fast-forward a year and she's pregnant with a baby and I'm FINALLY finished sewing her apron. Also, I had my first baby in the meantime, so that's where all my time went.


The proportions are weird in the skirt part and I just wonder what I was thinking. But I still like the cute bows on the pockets and the material. I made one for myself too, so that's why I talk like it is mine! Because it is! And surprisingly it is pretty flattering as aprons go. I didn't line the back. Probably not the best for absorbing.

A recent photo of my apron in action. Canning wit the ladies. Imogene's husband called me Martha Stewart. Which I decided to take as a compliment! :-)


Apron v2.0

I made this black-and-white French toile one for my friends Amanda and Morgan. It is like one I saw on the web and recreated. I used the bias tape, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend because it makes the apron cost more. I *did* line this one. But that made it hard to sew the bias tape on, especially at the ties. Again, the fun little pockets with the bows. I'm a fan!


Apron v3.0

Rosie Riveter! I love it! I made this one like the flirty aprons I see online. Charlotte and Rebecca got these as matching aprons. :-) I made them in pairs for my awesome BYU roomies.


Apron v4.0

A gift to my mother-in-law. She's awesome! I hope she likes the little ruffle on the bottom and the little side pocket. In purple paisley! Her mother got her the fabric some time ago, it was maybe for a dress, but didn't get used. I thought it would look lovely as a festive apron so I asked her if I could use the material and sew her an apron.


Apron v5.0

I made matching aprons for me and Adeline over a year ago. Hers looks great! Mine still needs work and ruffles. I'm working on it. Okay, not really, it's on the back-burner, but one of these days I'm going to whip it out. Finish it Danelle-style, a year later!


Aprons v6.0, v7.0, etc.

6.0 is for my mom. It is also a year overdue. Very depressing. I was going to model an Anthropologie look, I have the proper materials and everything. What is my deal? Why won't I sew it? I think I'm too busy over-thinking it because I want it to be perfect for my mom. I've put down a few versions in my sewing journal and I like them, but I still haven't begun to cut them out.


7.0 is a Belle apron, two in fact, that are mostly cut out and ready for sewing. One is definitely for me. I never wanted to be the girl obsessed with a Disney princess, after having had a fully-grown adult BYU roommate who had the ugliest collection of everything Cinderella, no joke, it took up half of our room. She was a pretty girl, too. She could have been a Cinderella look-alike but she was too busy trying to broadcast that to the world by cluttering up everything with cheesy Cinderella trinkets. I think she was engaged too, if I remember correctly, and I felt bad for her husband who had to put up with all the cheesy clutter. Hopefully he didn't break her Cinderella snow globe in the night trying to feel his way to the bathroom because there would probably be hell to pay. Thank goodness we only had to room together for the summer! But now I don't care anymore and I'm going to do my hair like Belle's occasionally and dress up in a Belle apron while I cook and vacuum. Eet's for FUN! (Maybe it will make me more likely to cook and vacuum, because it will have an element of FUN to it! Dressing up! Oh how I love to dress up!)

The other one was supposed to be for a charity auction. Oops. They ended up on the back-burner when I had to unpick the lace from the bodice of one and I couldn't find my seam-ripper so I kind of ran out of steam and now it's hard to motivate myself to start again. In other, happier news, I found my seam ripper and now I can unpick my mistakes much more quickly than trying to use clunky scissors and drive myself insane. Especially on lace. Cotton and scissors is easy! Lace? Not so much. You cut holes in your lace and curse yourself.


I hope I can update soon with final versions of v5.0, 6.0, and 7.0. That would be the BEST DAY EVER! Then maybe I'll retire from the apron-sewing business.

Cordially,

Danelle

No comments:

Post a Comment